Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Beginnings

I began writing Powers Awakening on September 13, 2008. I had a dream that was extremely vivid. I immediately woke up at 5 am, and got on my laptop to start writing down an outline. The dream was just so cool; I knew it would make a great book.

I wrote for three hours, and the ideas kept coming. I surpassed the original dream, and started adding more events and conflict. After that first writing stretch, I realized that I had too much for just one book, and decided to write a trilogy.

I had just started my Master's in Business at Utah State, while working part-time, so it was hard to find time to write. But I managed to fit it in. At first, I thought I was only going to have 120 pages or so. But after one year, with my MBA in hand, I had 170 pages, with a lot more of the story left to be told.

It took another year to finish. I started a full-time job, and I wrote on my lunch break and during down time. In that year, I wrote another 135 pages, for a total of 305 pages in Word, 12-pt Times Roman font.

Needless to say, I was thrilled with the outcome.

Here I had an honest-to-goodness novel. A work of fiction with a plot, conflict, dialogue, antagonists and protagonists, and an over-arching story line. A conclusion that left you with a sense of satisfaction, but also left a desire to know more.

However, once I finally leaned back from my laptop where I had spent so many hours, I realized I was about to embark on a whole other journey: editing.


1 comment:

  1. Editing can be pretty intensive, right? I felt like I was operating invasive surgery on some of those college papers I had to edit. It's probably good I never had to meet those authors--I'm sure they didn't feel too kindly to me and my red pen.

    I've heard that you've changed some of the book since I read it last year... that's exciting! I want to buy the book when you make it available again.

    ReplyDelete